Renovation with Green, Efficiency and budget in mind
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Should you upgrade your electrical panel or fuse box ?

This is a question that comes up quite often with our clients at Stafford Home Service electrical. Many people are concerned about safety or are interested in upgrading the mechanicals in their home. Here’s a quick list to help you make your decision. As always, we at Stafford Home Service are available to answer your questions and support your needs. Give us a call today and allow us to help you.

  1. If your home has a outdated circuit breaker panel or fuse box (usually located in your basement) –e.g. Federal Pacific circuit breaker panel.
    1. How does one identify an outdated panel? –Because there are so many brands/styles its probably best to contact us for a evaluation.
  2. If your circuit breaker panel or fuse box does not have a main fused shut off switch.
  3. If you are planning significant lifestyle changes in your home that will put added demand to your electrical system.
  4. If you have a 60 amp service. Typically you can have only one 220 volt appliance on a 60 amp service. A demand load calculation should be used to determine this.
    1. How can someone easily identify their “amp service”? –Typically there is a listed label on the  panel
  5. If your main fuses blow or main circuit breaker shuts off.
  6. If you are planning on having your wires buried from your local power company you will need to change your meter socket and usually this is a good time to upgrade your circuit breaker panel or fuse box to a more modern and safer system.If you do not have adequate room for additional circuits, Such as adding air conditioning, electric water heaters, electric clothes dryers, electric heat, hot tubs, ect.

Kris Thompson
Stafford Home Service
Office:   952.927.7194
Fax:      952.927.7192
Direct:   612.328.3989